Can you believe July is almost over? Cause I definitely can’t. While I’ll be sad to see the summer end, I’m of course looking forward to Germany. Even when I’m not studying abroad though, I do love a new semester because it means new school supplies! It’s no secret that I’m addicted to office supplies, and as a result I get giddy with the thought of picking out new things to stock my backpack for the year with. Before I go into what I keep in my backpack, I wanted to go over the backpack itself.
I was given this backpack by Sakroots and was too excited when I got it in the mail. It is there flap backpack and it come in 13 patterns. I first of all loved how colorful the backpack is since I tend to wear neutrals and could use a bit of color in my life to spice things up. I then fell in love with all of the pockets it had, which is any organizers’ dream. I can keep my phone in one of the side pockets and easily grab it when I need it and then a few pens in the other side pocket for quick access. It’s also really helpful to utilize the front pocket of a backpack for small things that you don’t want to lose in the bottom of your bag.
Besides making great backpacks, Sakroots is an amazing company! They have what they call their “Choose Your Karma” campaign which supports artists and charities. Each print that you see on all of their items is created by an artist and that artist has chosen a charity to support with their print. My backpack’s print is Flower Power which supports the North American Butterfly Association, but there are prints that support everything from bee colonies to the harmony project that teaches kids music. Also, if you like what Sakroots stands for and want free swag you can apply to be a campus ambassador for them.
If you want to get your own backpack or agenda, which I definitely think you should, then you should visit their website and sign up for their newsletter in the bottom right corner because then you’ll get 15% off. If you’re not sure yet, I still suggest signing up for the website cause then you can get updates every so often about their new stuff and charities.
Now that you know why you need a Sakroots backpack to carry your stuff this upcoming semester, lets go over what essentials you need to carry. Above you can see a picture of most of the stuff I keep in my backpack and I have listed them all out below along with some other things that didn’t make the picture.
- Makeup Wipes – For some reason I always tend to need makeup wipes when I’m on the go, such as removing my makeup after a long day before heading to the library because we all know my tears from the stress of studying are going to make a mess of it anyway
- Tissues – You don’t want to be that person who is sniffling during a test
- Pencil Case (came with the backpack) – I always keep a few pens outside of the case to quickly grab, but I also like having the rest of my pens all together for easy access
- Black Ink Pens – I’m super OCD about taking notes and always must use black ink pens. I like using them because they don’t smear like pencils when you highlight, but they still provide a plain base for highlighting. If you are looking for some new pens, you need to get these. They are the best black pens ever and incredibly cheap for what you get.
- Post-it Notes – I use post-its for everything, especially when I think of something I have to remember in the middle of a class.
- Crabtree and Evelyn Hand Lotion – They make my favorite hand lotion and it’s the perfect size to keep in your bag. I tend to get dry skin on my hands so I always make sure to use this at least once a day. Putting on hand lotion is also the perfect thing to do when your bored in a class.
- Bath & Body Works Hand Sanitizer – Sometimes your hands just feel gross and you want to eat, so instead of always running to the bathroom I just keep hand sanitizer with me. I like using the ones from Bath & Body Works because they have fun scents that smell better than the typical sanitizer.
- An Agenda (seen above) – I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t survive without my agenda (well I would probably still live, but I wouldn’t be on time anywhere) and therefore I rarely can leave the apartment without it. If you still haven’t gotten an agenda yet then you should definitely check out the ones by Sakroots!
- Hair ties and clips – I usually start off the day with my hair down and by the end of the day I get so frustrated with it getting everywhere that it goes up in a ponytail or is clipped back, especially if I am taking a test that day
- An assortment of lip products – I always accumulate a ton of these in my bags depending on what lipstick I decide to wear each day. The one lip product I always have to have on me though is Blistex. I swear by it when I have chapped lips and is the only thing I have found to really work.
- Colorful Pens – I use these for taking notes on top of notes I have already taken and for color coding in my planner. This is my OCD guilty pleasure.
- A notebook – As long as the class lends itself to it, I am much more of a fan of handwritten notes than typed notes so I am always carrying at least one notebook. I find that I pay a lot more attention when my computer can’t distract me.
- Macbook Air – I very rarely leave my apartment during the school year without my laptop. Even for my classes that don’t let me use my computer (I have more of these than you would think), I always seem to need my laptop before or after my class to do something
What are some of your backpack essentials?