I already went over my backpack essentials last week, so I thought it would be perfect to now go over my fashion essentials for back to school this year. I’m participating in the Back to School Link Up that Empire Styles and Classy Cathleen are hosting so it worked out perfectly that this week was their fashion themed week. I decided to pick just 10 items that I am considering essential when I go back to school this fall (well in my case it’s technically abroad).
1. A New White Tee – If you don’t own a white tee, I’m not really sure what you’re doing with your life and you need to stop reading right now and purchase one. If you do, I still suggest you purchase a nice and new one for back to school because I find mine always get gross since I wear them so much. I also sweat (I know the horrors) and my white tees tend to get those lovely pit stains. I find that it’s a great way to start the year off with a new one.
2. Tassel Jewelry – In case you can’t tell in the picture above, I tend to wear very neutral colors and jewelry is my way of adding some color to my outfits. This year my jewelry trend of choice is tassels and I think a pink tassel necklace would look cute with any outfit.
3. Simple Stud Pearl Earrings – I only wear stud earrings and pearls are of course a classic for any girl to own since they go with everything. I think it’s a good idea to invest in a nice pair of these too so they last you a while and don’t bother your ears. I have been trying to get away with a pair of Forever 21 ones and they just aren’t working like I would like.
4. A Comfortable Romper – Rompers are my go to outfit when I’m running late in the morning since you can literally throw one on in the matter of seconds, throw on a pair of sandals, and your good to go. For college, you’ll definitely want a comfortable cotton one because not only are they easy to throw on, but they are perfect for taking a nap in when you get back to your room after an 8am.
5. Black Booties – I bought a pair of these during after christmas sales and they have quickly become one of my favorite pairs of shoes. I love how most pairs have a little bit of heel because I don’t know if it’s just me, but I always feel a little bit more confident in a heel. I also like how they can instantly transform your plain outfit into something nicer when you want to look a bit better for class.
6. A Good Watch – Even though you probably feel like you have no need for a watch since you can check your phone or laptop, I actually end up using my watch a ton. Whether it’s because I’m taking a test in a classroom without a clock and want to know how much time I have left or I’m walking from class to class with my arms full I am always finding myself thankful for my watch. Invest in a good one and thank me later.
7. A Little Black Dress – Personally I have gone overboard on this essential and now own about 8 little black dresses, but they are so versatile I couldn’t help it. These are my secret to looking good for class because they are effortless to wear, but you instantly look chic when you throw one on. Also, if you like playing around with accessories these are the perfect canvas.
8. Tote bag – I am very much a tote bag over backpack kind of girl. I wear a lot of dresses and backpacks cause them to ride up and I am not about that life. Therefore a tote bag is essential for me. I just bought the tote bag in the picture and I am literally in love with it. I love how tote bags are always open so you don’t have to deal with zippers and this one fits everything I could need. It also is super cute so it’s a win-win.
9. Black Jeans – These are probably already in your wardrobe, but I wear mine all of the time so I thought it would be good to include. They also will go incredibly well with your black booties and new white tee.
10. Tennis Shoes – Or what everyone outside of the midwest calls them, sneakers. I do way more walking in college than I ever expected and some days if I know I’m going to have to walk to the other side of campus or to somewhere far away I make sure to throw on my tennis shoes. If you get a cute pair like these New Balance ones you can wear them with jeans and still look good.
While these ten are my top fashion essentials, I of course have more which you can look through below.
What are your back to school fashion essentials?